Thursday, July 5, 2012

Cat Tails

I had a funny experience at work that is a good example of how the primal instinct takes over the human brain at times.

There is a cat that is boarding at our clinic for 6 weeks while its owners are out of town.  This cat stayed with us because she has some health issues and was under our immediate care at the time the owners were leaving.  She is doing much better now and we typically allow her out in our break room during the day to get some exercise and keep her from becoming depressed.

I went to the bathroom that adjoins our break room and was on the toilet minding my own business when suddenly I felt something softly brushing down my bare thigh.  It was very unnerving and, were I the screaming sort, I'm sure the whole clinic would have heard me.

It took a second before the conscious brain took over and realized it was the cat's tail.

1 comment:

foffmom said...

I once went in to feed my new three rats at bedtime. Everyone was happy to get their treat. As I turned to leave at the far end of the aquarium I saw a pink mass, which moved. I heard myself scream as my brain telegraphed "Baby rats". It is odd when you can feel the gap between primitive brainstem response and cortical judgement.