Sunday, October 21, 2012

I'm Gonna Get Can't Spell in Trouble

Can't Spell, my dear friend, has failed to post on her own blog for an even longer period of time than it has been for me.  Her excuse is that she does not see enough interesting stuff on her USDA job to warrant posting.  She has recently started working one day a month back in clinical practice and said she would post something soon since that was of more interest.  Being in a rather smart ass frame of mind, my response was, "Should it concern you, don't worry, I'm not holding my breath..."  In order to prove her somewhat wrong, I'm posting some pictures for your enjoyment and edification along with questions which she will have to answer.  (Bwahahahahaha!!!!!)










  This is a pig.  Now, you tell me 1) what organ, 2) what disease process, 3) etiology, 4) does this require the carcass to be condemned, and 5) if so, why, if not, why?????  Have fun!!

5 comments:

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

Looks like polycystic kidneys....

leslie_popedvm said...

Yep, I vote polycystic kidneys and I don't think that has to condemn the carcass. Though my days in the slaughterhouse are somewhat behind me.

damia1966 said...

I'm not a vet, so I can't make any good guesses (but at least I knew it was a pig). I do have two responses, though. First: ew. =) Second: Yay! A new post! I'm glad the blog/y'all aren't on permanent hiatus.

Can'tSpell, DVM said...

To May B. Insane- someday... yes, this is a polycystic kidney in a pig, which if common in pigs. Usually not quite this size though... No, it doesn't require comdemnation unless there is some other disease process that goes along with it. This one was fine after I cut the kidney out :-)

Elliott Garber said...

Wow, I've never seen kidneys like that! So Can't Spell DVM, do you work for APHIS? Where at? It's always fun connecting with other federal vets.