Monday, September 15, 2008

Boredom!

I usually love this time of year. The weather turns cooler, there is a crispness in the air. The sky is even a bluer blue. I love it. Harvest time.

However, this time of year is when business really slows down for vets. The farmers go into the field and don't have time to bring the dog in for shots. People want to spend time outdoors and don't take the dog in for shots.

I don't like spending hours doing sudoku at work.

Also, we had the remnants of Hurricane Ike go thru and dump 6 inches of rain in one day. All the rivers are flooded. Yuck.

I hospitalized a cat today. IV fluids are going, medicine has been administered. I don't really know what is wrong with the cat. He's been lethargic and not eating or drinking for a couple of days. He is dehydrated. Blood work showed a white count of 31,000 (very high) but all segs, no bands. Is this cat just stressed out with a stress leukogram? Or does he have an infection? His glucose on original blood work was 334, but this is stress range for a cat and a repeat was only 160. We'll see if he improves in the next few days on fluids and antibiotics (just in case). I know, we're not supposed to use antibiotics without a clear cut infection, but I can't not use them with a white count that high. Screaming can commence. We'll see in a few days!

No comments: