Wednesday, June 8, 2011

On a roll

So now I'm posting about losing a pet. My beautiful, smart, and annoyingly affectionate cat Riley (he was only 9) passed away this morning after a week long battle with something. At first I thought he had a chronic herpes flare up- he did that periodically. Then he went into hepatic lipidosis- yes, I should have started syringe feeding him earlier. But then how does one go from a white count of 46,000(!) to 6,000 in two days? And a RBC of 8.something to 3.something? With no bleeding?!?!?!?!? It shouldn't have ended that way. And I'm sorry it did. And I'm especially sorry I didn't say bye to him last night when I left the clinic he was at because I was so sure I'd be back this afternoon. He was happy to see me last night then I did mean vet things to him and then I left him... and now I won't get to say goodbye. I can only hope he knew how much I loved him.

3 comments:

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

OH no - how sad. The mean vet stuff guilt won't be helping even though it was all to try and help - we always beat ourselves up about that bit.
Never gets any easier eh.
I am sure he knew - he was pleased to see you after all and that is earned from love.

Anonny said...

I wish I could think of the right words to offer you some comfort. The truth is that it sucks. Period. And I am deeply sorry for that.

You and Dr. May B. will stay in my thoughts. Please both of you, take some extra TLC this week, okay?

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! And he had to have known how much you loved him, "mean vet things" or not!

I understand the guilt, though...the one time we left an older kitty at the vet for boarding and I didn't go back to help settle her into the cage and say "mommy will be back for you", she died....