Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sucker

I did a quick review of my posts and could not find where I told either of the two stories that I'm about to relate. If I missed it and have already told them, then just view it as me getting started early on my own redundancy...

Several months ago I saw a Lab for a routine exam and vaccines that was dropped off while the owner, a very nice lady and good client of ours, took her grandson to the movies. It is because of cases like this that I'm becoming so superstitious; I really seem to attract cancer or other badness even in the routine and mundane. I started examining the dog and discovered that she had generalized peripheral lymphadenopathy. Being the bright soul that I am, I did a fine needle aspirate and, guess what? Bingo. Clearly lymphoma. Not even a cytology that I, who can argue about anything, could hem-haw about. That was a fun phone call to make, let me tell you. The owner had apparently noticed the mandibular nodes being large but didn't know what they were and didn't mention it because she was "afraid of what it might be." Premonition?

I always say on such cases that I would bet if Doc had seen it the whole thing would have been routine and nothing would have been wrong. Just like the Yorkie that came in for inappetance and vomiting after the Labor Day weekend. Had he seen it, it would most likely have been "garbage gut" from too many hot dogs. Because I happened to draw it, the dog was in kidney failure and also had a heart murmur. Sheesh. Can't I ever just get a boring one? The good news on the Yorkie is that with careful fluid therapy he is doing well and went home on prescription kidney diet food and strict instructions to avoid barbecue, etc. since that could easily push him over the edge of no return.

The other story is another sucker tale. I spayed a hound mix a couple of months ago and there was just something about the dog that spoke to me at the time. She belonged to a client that I don't particularly like. This person acts as if she doesn't even want to touch her little foo foo dog right after it has been groomed, much less a big hound dog. The dog was covered in fleas and had several patches of alopecia secondary to the fleas. I treated the fleas and the skin and talked to the owner about treating the environment. She only got mad that we had the audacity to create extra expense. I really don't know how she came to have this dog but I found out later that she also had 3 puppies that belonged to this little hound.

Just before I left to go to the AVMA convention, this lady brought in the 3 puppies and had them euthanized because "they have mange." I didn't see them, it was on my day off. She also scheduled an appointment to bring the mother dog. I told the clinic staff to talk to her about surrendering the dog but had doubts if it would actually be carried out. Fortunately, the dog had a lot of sense and hid out where her owner couldn't get to her then wound up being brought in on the next day that I worked.

On a whim, I called Can'tSpell and asked if she happened to know anyone that would be interested in a hound mix that was spayed already. As it worked out, she did! We got the girl all fixed up and, crazy person that I am, I hauled her with me and the boys to St. Louis in order to manage a "great exchange." The dog didn't even have mange; it was still a flea problem and that was likely what was wrong with the pups as well. She rode the whole way like a champ but was a little confused about the potty business since there was really no grassy area to take her out in St. Louis. She urinated once in the bathroom in the hotel but at least she chose the tiled floor...

I'm very happy to report that she has a wonderful home and is in the process of becoming spoiled rotten. Her personality is really blossoming from the shy dog that she was into a really neat dog. Unfortunately, I don't get to see her since she now lives in the midwest but Can'tSpell sees her often when her friend comes over and gives me updates and pictures. Had it not worked out, I'm sure I would have succumbed and kept her but I really don't have room for more right now. I feel as if the herd already doesn't get enough attention.

The foster pup is doing better but not out of the woods yet. Her skin is so bad it's like treating a burn victim and she is losing a lot of protein through the oozing areas. She is taking more food and is interested in eating now, though. The bloody diarrhea has resolved but her stool is still loose - probably related to the Nutrical and A/D food that I'm feeding right now for the calorie content. I still have her on fluids and, of course, major antibiotics. I've been playing with different topicals to soothe the skin and, so far, am happiest with an aloe based lotion. Today, she actually growled when I re-wrapped her foot and IV catheter and also tried to stand to defecate. She's doing a great job at holding her feces even with the loose stool until I get her out to clean her. I need to pull out one of Choo Choo's old bibs, though, because I'm messy with the syringe feeding (good thing I don't plan on kids, right?) When she gets a bit stronger, she'll definitely need a good bath!! Assuming she makes it, she has a home lined up and will be Maddie's, the aforementioned hound dog, little sister. My dogs are extremely curious, of course, but I'm trying to keep her isolated until the mites are no longer contagious. I really don't want to have to treat the whole herd and especially Peanut, the atopic Pekingese, for sarcoptic mange!

One day, I'll actually take the time to edit and update my profile since it is sadly out of date. I should post a picture when I do that. A giant sucker should work well... A blue one.

2 comments:

VetVoyeur said...

Dear Dr. Sucker, It's folks like you that keep my faith in people going! Thanks, VV

foffmom said...

Ditto that.Thank you so much for trying, and I hope the puppy does well.