Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Supreme Disappointment

I have confessed my fascination with abscesses before as well as my enjoyment of the art of attempting to hit someone with the spew thus you can imagine my excitement over the beautiful scrotal abscess that presented this afternoon. It was warm and very swollen with fluid palpable and a wound just waiting to be opened...

I anesthetized the dog, prepped the area, and inserted some hemostats and...NOTHING!

After a thorough exploration of the scrotal sac I found two normal sized slightly bruised testicles, a LOT of cellulitis, a small seroma, and a wimpy walled-off pocket of pus that I had to exert a lot of pressure on to get drained. What a disappointment; no thrilling gush, just boring. I'm sure the dog feels better, though, with his good drugs and all. Me, on the other hand, I'm just let down after the anticipation of a really good abscess.

On a side note, I loved the vets behaving badly "V is for vomit" entry. Right there with you. Funny part is that we had a surprise office Valentines party; the last time I celebrated Valentines Day, I was in grade school and we all had decorated baggies to put cards in...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed that ;)

Elizabeth said...

ahh but there is always the next abscess!

SMHDVM said...

Mmm, when you can smell the anaerobic bacteria when the door opens, you know you are in for some fun. I think there are very few vets that don't like the old abscess. Then, once you have it drained, sticking your (gloved) finger in there to dig out the caseous junk and break down adhesions. Ahh, I love a good abscess.

Shirley, surely said...

I'm not sure what's sicker. What you wrote about, or the fact that I read it while I ate. LOL