Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tribute to the South

I'm taking a moment out of my vacation from torture to pay tribute to the South. As mentioned in my profile, I am originally from the South and am currently displaced due to work necessities. So, as part of my internship, I get 3 weeks of a specialty rotation in which I get the chance to go out of the hospital and spend time working in different settings. I chose to go to 2 different universities and participate in a radiology and ophthalmology rotation. This may sound like work but is in reality a vacation from the Northeastern area and the hospital at which I am doing my internship. It has been heavenly!!!!

I wound up bowing to the well meant concerns of friends and taking a nap prior to driving out on March 15 (rather regret the wasted time but they are probably right that it was safer for all involved - or uninvolved - parties). The result was that I drove through the night and arrived home in the early evening Monday. I found myself in Virginia at 4 a.m. and stopped for breakfast; it was so refreshing. The door was held for me, people spoke with a smile, and I could actually order a biscuit and gravy without everyone acting as if I had 4 heads with green horns sprouting from them. God it was good to be back in the South. Such a refreshing change from the typical Northeastern experience.

The time I've spent on this rotation has just served to reinforce my opinion that, while a visit to the Northeast has been interesting and enjoyed, it is definitely not where I want to spend the rest of my life. The pace is too fast, the people too stressed, the anxiety level too high, and there is far too much traffic!! I wish that I could get them to realize that there are many things in life more important than money and "prestige."

So, I give major tribute to the South; land of my birth and where I grew up. I've enjoyed my visit home thoroughly and hope to return on a more permanent basis soon (although it doesn't look as if the time is quite ready yet.) I would encourage everyone to visit and appreciate a different way of life but, please, don't too many people stay since it would become too crowded and lose its charm;) I guess you can take the girl out of the South but you just can't take the South out of the girl.

Unfortunately, I have to return next Monday to finish out my internship time. I'm afraid that leaving again is going to be one of the hardest things I'll ever have to do.

2 comments:

Penelope said...

I completely understand. I moved for work to another province far from my home (four hours by air). It was a completely different world there. I missed my home more than I ever thought was possible.

It took me almost ten years, but I finally made it home. There is nothing like having one's sense of place restored.

I hope you are able to speed through your next internship and get back to your precious South again soon.

Anonymous said...

I live in MN. and my parents live in the south as do my in-laws. I LOVE when we get to visit. There's no place like the South! People just don't get it till they experience it! The food is WAY better too. :)