Sunday, October 25, 2009

Flat Broke


I should be used to the feeling of having no money. After all, I've been in school for more years than I care to think about and am now in the middle of my second (!) internship. At the moment, however, I'm very frustrated by being completely broke. The reasons are numerous extending from the very good (my dog needs a dental badly) to the selfish (there's a book I'm dying to buy). Unfortunately, there's no way that I can currently afford either, much less some of the less important things, unless I completely maxed out a credit card. The credit card cannot be maxed out unless it is a dire emergency (i.e. one of the four-legged kids needs something that can't possibly wait).

This being said, my meals have become increasingly creative as I try to wait out the days until the end of the month when I get a paycheck. You would be amazed at the things that you can dig up out of the cupboard and make a meal out of; things you would never have guessed can go together. Today, through a combination of a) not having money and b) not wanting to go to the grocery store, I decided that if I cook some homemade biscuits (very cheap) and creamed potatoes, I can live on that for the week without having to buy anything.

The picture that I included is totally plagiarized from an e-mail that I received recently and I would give credit for it but don't know who to credit. I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea if only my pets were that well-trained... So here's to cheap noodles and potatoes until the paycheck arrives on Friday. Now as long as no one gets sick, we'll be okay.

2 comments:

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

It does seem unfair that all the years of studying still can't earn you a reasonable income! Sometimes I wonder if the ones who start work when they leave school have it right!!!

Tammy said...

Having not gone through veterinary school myself, I can't completely understand, but I worked at a vet teaching hospital... I heard the plight of being broke from most of the students. I think it's a crime how much education costs. (I have a business degree and WAY to many student loans myself, but it's nothing compared to vet school bills.)

Hang in there. Be sure to get some cheap protein in there too! :)