Saturday, October 31, 2009

"October's Bright Blue Weather"

My brother and I learned a poem when we were very young and the first verse always stuck with both of us. Often, when taking "train trips" in the fall, we would look at each other then burst out with the words: "Oh, suns and skies and clouds of June, and flowers of June together; You cannot rival for one hour, October's bright blue weather!"

I'm pretty sure the title of the poem is "October's Bright Blue Weather" but please don't quote me. The rest of the poem is lovely as well but there's just something about that opening line that captures the essence.

Today, at long last, there is sun and blue skies. Admittedly, it is the last day of October and thus almost doesn't count but...it'll do. Most of October here has been gray and rainy with only a day or two that was sunny and nice. No, the sun does not make the badness go away but at least it helps one to feel a little more capable of facing the day. I miss "train trips" with my brother...

No comments: