Friday, December 25, 2009

White Christmas (and then some!)


I love snow! Particularly if you can get out in it and just play without worrying about needing to be somewhere. Under those circumstances, multiple feet of snow would be perfectly fine with me.

We got some wonderful snow. I can't quote figures for you but apparently it set some record in the little town where I currently abide with blizzard conditions for the first time in years. I was up until 2 a.m. on Christmas Eve just enjoying watching (and playing in) the snow. The wind was crazy and swept clean certain areas while creating enormous drifts in others. There was a lovely drift about 3.5 feet high in front of my door (the one I don't use) and it proved great fun to jump in it then make a snow angel. My four-footed, furry children were mortified at mom's behavior. As they are either a) older or b) very cold natured they chose to lie on the couch and ignore me. If the big dogs were with me rather than at home with my mom at the moment, I'm sure they would have joined in the fun!

Final result was that we had an absolutely beautiful white Christmas. I'm on ER duty. On day duty 24-25 then from 8 a.m. today (26) until 5 p.m. Sunday 27. That's the only fly in the ointment for this lovely event.

On Christmas morning, I was told that they would scrape the road shortly so I called, told the other intern to leave the ER phone and have them call me directly if something came in before I got there. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. I got a call around 9:30 a.m. and they still (8:30 a.m. 26) haven't scraped the road. At my place, the backyard is almost bare just outside the door, there are huge drifts along the side of the house, the drive is bare of snow being just a sheet of ice, and the road in front, well, what road? The drifts completely obliterated the area of the road extending in front of my house and the only way you know it's there is by the mailboxes. (The picture above actually contains two roads, I defy you to find them without the aid of vehicles or mailboxes!) I couldn't even get out of the drive. Had to hitch a ride in with a neighbor who has 4 wheel drive then hitch a ride home with the other intern. The worst part was that what I had to go in for was a Christmas morning euthanasia.

Don't let that comment make you believe I thought it was wrong. It was definitely best for the dog who had lymphoma and the nodes had gotten so big that she couldn't breathe. It's just so sad anytime but most especially at Christmas!

Fortunately today the snow is packed enough and some of the roads are clear enough to allow me to drive myself in to work. That's good because I need to be able to go home and finish packing which I intended to do last night but did not. And yes, I still plan to head out Sunday night unless it poses a risk for the critters. Hopefully, the roads will continue to improve and not be problematic. The interstates are supposed to be clear as of today but I have about a 60-70 mile jaunt on a small state highway to get there...

No comments: