Thursday, June 7, 2012

His Other Office

I work at a small clinic where we all know each other way too well (and some of the clients,too!) There are two bathrooms in the clinic; one up front that has public access and one adjacent to the break room and the boss's office. For as long as I've known him, my boss has seemed to spend an excessive amount of time in the bathroom, both in frequency as well as length of time per visit. We have always called it either his other office or his second office because, inevitably, when he is needed, the door is closed and there he is. Yesterday, the truth suddenly dawned on me and I wondered why I never realized it before. Just as a woman spends longer in the shower than is strictly necessary in order to obtain a few moments of respite from her loving spouse and adorable children who never give her a moment to herself (please read Virginia Woolf's "A Room of One's Own"), my boss is going to the bathroom to obtain that same moment. It is truly the only room in the clinic where we won't bug him because his office is certainly NOT sacrosanct. It's not a bad idea and I would probably steal it except for the fact that I avoid that bathroom as much as possible because of the vertigo inducing striped wallpaper pattern and one can't go hide out in the public access bathroom very well...

No comments: