Sunday, January 1, 2012

No one listens and I guess there is just no pleasing me...

I was about to start by saying my mother makes me crazy with her lack of listening but that is not appropriate. Not that the statement is untrue; it's just not fair to only say my mother. The truth is, there is only one person in my life that I can honestly say that I feel like truly listens to what I have to say. I may be wrong, but at least I feel like it.

Everyone else simply pretends to listen; and often the pretense if very poor. What set me off today? Mother. For years I have been trying my damnedest to get her to start taking some joint supplements for her arthritis. She, like me, has difficulty with medications so doesn't take too many. I told her over and over that some of the natural supplements might be beneficial and she might be able to tolerate them but she has refused to listen. Today, she states that she thinks she'll try ordering some of the joint supplements she saw in a catalog because "they might help." I guess it had to be her idea...

Some of my friends would likely say I am the same way but I am going to beg to differ. True, the decision has to be my idea ultimately but I do listen and consider the suggetions and, if I decide to follow them, I give credit where credit is due.

I think the reason it aggravates me so much is that everyone does that to me. I just feel as if I'm wasting my breath whenever I open my mouth to speak. That's probably why I don't say too much as a general rule. I'm saving my breath in case I need it later; particularly if I follow through with my threat of running away to a higher altitude. I'll need all the extra breath I can get in that case. I spent a couple of weeks in Montana years ago and was constantly gasping but must have been getting in better shape than I realized because I felt like super woman when I came back here - sooooo much energy!

As to the no pleasing me comment, I'm griping again but on the other side of the coin. Normally, I complain because the kennel folks never (NEVER!!!) clean the ICU cages and I do it when I come to take care of the patients. They'll be filthy and wet and the person will have been and gone but done nothing for them. Today, I came, took care of my patient and left. When I returned, the cage was cleaned with new blankets, etc. but no note or comment on whether the dog ate the food I left it (gone, bowl and all), or if there had been any vomit or diarrhea seen. Am I asking too much? The saddest part to me is that as demanding as I may be of them, I'm like a million times more demanding of myself. Sometimes I wish I could invite them in for a short visit inside my insane mind with its multiple personality self and all the voices that talk all the time up there. It might serve as an interesting wake up call. Or they might just have me committed.

Last night, I was about ready to hurt some neighbors. We live off the road and have about 20 acres so no one is extremely close but close enough to hear the fireworks. What is the attraction for the loud ones? I really don't get it. The pretty colors, yes, I can buy that (well, not literally because I always feel as if I'm burning my money buying fireworks and such) but the booms, why? My poor dogs were so upset all night. I had as many as possible inside and noise going on so they couldn't hear too much. They had happy drugs, too, but it still upset them. My night was less than restful as a result. I would have been happy with a quiet night reading with my glass of milk and an early bedtime...

No comments: